Director of ContentPosted: Monday, 16 July 2018 - Boston, MA
As the Director of Content, you’ll be the glue that holds our content marketing strategy together. We currently have nearly 400k unique monthly visitors reading our blog and resources. You’ll play a critical role in taking our publishing to the next level.
We need your help wrangling an ambitious editorial calendar, collaborating with and amplifying the work of a creative team of writers, and executing a strategy that helps us create value for our current and future customers.
About the role
- The team consists of two content marketing managers (Gregory Ciotti and Emily Triplett Lentz), one customer evangelist, one part-time editor, and several teammates who are regular contributors. We are passionate about this stuff! You’ll build relationships with all members of the team and work with them daily to produce world-class content.
- You’ll collaborate across the marketing department to develop a strategy for new content and growth opportunities. You'll lead our content initiatives, determining project details, deliverables, and measures of success. You'll also align the content team with the goals of the marketing and sales departments at large.
- There’s a lot of coordination that goes into the editorial calendar and all of our content projects. You’ll be responsible for managing deliverables and logistics from start to finish. You’ll also be the editorial voice behind all of our content, making sure everything meets our sky-high standards of excellence.
- As the business grows and new opportunities present themselves, you’ll be recruiting and hiring the best possible people for your team. We expect to add 1-2 full-time people to your team in the next year.
- You’ll work alongside our PR company to give our existing content greater reach. You’ll establish yourself as a thought leader and execute on initiatives that provide exposure for the brand and our values.
- You’ve worked on a high-performance content marketing team, and all of those folks have wonderful things to say about you.
- You know what an MQL and an SQL are, and you are skilled at the tactics necessary to acquire them at a high volume every month.
- Being detail-oriented isn’t just a sound bite for you; it’s one of your strongest qualities. This job requires superhuman organization and communication skills.
- You have a deep understanding of editorial strategy, demand generation, sales enablement, and what it takes for a business to succeed and grow through a variety of content marketing channels. On top of this, you continue to experiment and learn new things.
- Help Scout is a remote team with employees in eight countries and eleven states (eight in the Boston office). We optimize for excellence over geography and overcome locational challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing.
- We’re a customer-driven company and always will be. Everything follows the customer experience, no exceptions. Everyone at Help Scout is aligned in their motivation to create content that adds value to customers.
- Our company is growing quickly and has aspirations of helping millions of people around the world. Accomplishing our goals will present countless challenges and requires you to excel at every level.
- This is not your typical startup. Our mission is to build a profitable company that goes the distance. Our culture is not built around ping-pong tables or Xboxes, it’s all about the work. We value craftsmanship, having a sustainable work/life balance, and want your career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Who You’ll Work With
Gregory Ciotti is a content marketing strategist who contributes to direction, planning, and distribution of our content. You’ll work with him to better understand successful outcomes for our customers. Read Greg’s piece on how to write with substance.
Emily Triplett Lentz is a content marketer with a strong background in journalism and customer support. She writes original pieces for the blog, champions our team contributions, and uses her storytelling talents to bring our company to life. Read Emily’s piece on softening the “no” in support.
Mat Patterson is our customer evangelist. You’ll be working closely with him to develop new resources and training materials to help our customers achieve success.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere - Work from our office in Boston or anywhere else, provided you have 4 hours of overlap with the team. We’ll even buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Harvard Pilgrim HMO or PPO policies. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee needs a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.